Home Page    |   Beginnings   |    Fecamp & Vincelli     |   The 1st Transmitter     |   The House of the Radio    |   Broadcasts in English   
 Broadcasts in French 
|  Louvetot Transmitter    |     Caudebec Studios      |   The Staff   |  The War & Radio International  |  The End of a Legend

Access to the pages >    1 |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  15  |  16  |

One of the last views of the transmitting centre in the 70's, taken from the village of Louvetot, facing the northeast. 

Along the road for Yvetot and Fecamp...

Louvetot 1971

The station of Louvetot after the war.


antenne 120 m

Mast 120 m high replaces its predecessor (170 m) and broadcasts the national ORTF (France Inter and Inter varieties) on the wavelength of 214 m (1403 kHz) with a power of 20 kW. 

2 February 1971 : Louvetot radio station relays programmes
from Paris, by underground cables.

It has been re-roofed after the fire, but the building lost its
superb bell tower, although this was partially rebuilt.

Le Buisson ardent

Louvetot vendu

During 1974, the remaining transmitter is on standby
but without wave bearer (for a hypothetical resurgence),
then transmission ceases. In 1977 the antenna and the
transmitter are destroyed

Also, notice the tops of windows on the first floor
(transmitter room) still sealed.

In August 1944 the Germans had sealed off the building's windows to keep out of strafing Allied air


1977 : the demolition team poses in front of the shot down pylone

The "castle" is now owned by an evangelical church – “The Ardent Bush".  

However, the spiritual waves have not replaced radio waves, which live on today: The local radio station, spread regionally, then internationally, allowing the village of Louvetot to preserve it’s title of "Norman village of waves".

On the occasion of the "Heritage Days" on 18/19 september 2010,
ome more recent views of Louvetot castle >  here