November 1935: the first stone is laid, at the new transmitter centre at
Louvetot (20 km to the south of Fécamp) in the presence of Georges
Mandel, minister of the PTT. On the right: M. Le Grand.
transmitting centre of Louvetot is completed. Notice the feeder (conduct
in copper) at the foot of the mast.
site of Louvetot, on plot of 3 hectares, is just right. The
entrepreneur, Edward Fontaine, is a Fecamp local and has the president's
backing. He erects the 53 m long building, which comprise four floors,
above huge cellars and tanks. On the ground floor, is a machine room and
shop; on the first floor, is the transmitter, accumulators, a laboratory
and an emergency studio. In the turret nearby, is the managers’ office.
On the second floor: comfortable accommodation for technical staff and
above, a vast attic.
25 kilowatts SFR transmitter
12 December 1938, the installation is finished in Louvetot, as well as the
new studios in Caudebec. Broadcasts cease from Fécamp, and start in
Louvetot on a wavelength of 274 meters. Broadcasting from 6.30 a.m. to 1/
2 a.m. in the morning.
new station will be opened officially on 4 June 1939, but broadcasts will
cease September 7, at the outbreak of World War II.
the presentation booklet :
the beginning of 1934 the application for the wave band of Lucerne was
almost disastrous for Radio Normandy. It was cut to
minimum power on wave
of 200 m.
M. Mistler, minister of PTT allowed Fécamp to use the wave
length of the Tour Eiffel, 206m, which was disused. Radio Fécamp is known
worldwide, thanks to international nightly concerts continuing until 2/ 3
am in the morning and is the longest running radio station in Europe.
Broadcasts begin at 7 am and close at 8.45, open at 10.30am and close at
re-open at 3.30pm and close at 3am. On Sundays, the station is on air
continuously. It is an excellent radio
station and composed of listeners,
who manage the station and organize concerts. Listeners of Radio Normandy,
pay a subscription of 15 francs per year, to be association members, and
will participate in the running of Radio Normandy. The station, created
and run by listeners,
A law dated 7 July 1935
allows the relocation of the station
to Caudebec-en-Caux, as
Fécamp is too small.
Fécamp, the station is fed by aerial cables and transmission is difficult
during storms. In future, cables will run underground six kms, connecting
Caudebec-en-Caux with Paris - Rouen Le Havre".
(Interview of F. Le
Grand by the Newspaper of Fécamp 20 August 1935)
and generators below.
two Blackstones alternators of 220 CV
providing 300 amps under 220 volts
in the powerhouse
Normandy is quite unique. Mr. Fernand Le Grand wanted to blend in the
regional Norman character with the modern buildings, transforming one of
the prettiest castles on the banks of the river Seine. The radio aerial
has to be placed at one of the highest points in the country of Caux. The
castle for the Caudebec studios, is close to the road in the valley where
underground cables lay. Aircraft factories are close by and seaplanes will
replace cars and railways soon. Technicians, artists, and celebrities will
be able to travel there quickly. Sports, political, religious or other
recordings will be broadcast. Caudebec-Louvetot is situated in the heart
of Normandy, ensuring broadcasts of the highest quality and reception. In
1938, the association of Listeners of Radio Normandy groups totalled more
than 32,000 members in : Abbeville, Amiens, Bayeux, Berck, Boulogne, Caen,
Calais, Yvetot, Cherbourg, Trouville, Deauville, Dieppe, Dunkerque,
Honfleur, Fécamp, Le Crotoy, Le Havre, LeTréport, Rouen, St-Valéry-sur-Somme.