Home Page    |   Beginnings   |    Fecamp & Vincelli     |   The 1st Transmitter     |   The House of the Radio    |   Broadcasts in English   
 Broadcasts in French 
|  Louvetot Transmitter    |     Caudebec Studios      |   The Staff   |  The War & Radio International  |  The End of a Legend

Access to the pages >    1 |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  15  |  16  |


  CAUDEBEC : THE NEW STUDIOS


The Castle of Caudebec-en-Caux
and the
new studios of Radio Normandy
.

The entrance of the main studios of Radio Normandy at Caudebec-en-Caux.
There were used from December 12th, 1938 till September 7th, 1939

chateau caudebec

 
A very quiet park for make radio broadcasts...



          


The transmitter is joined to studios of Caudebec by a 6km long underground cable
containing several telephone lines, crossing the forest of MaulÚvrier.

At the front of the castle is a reception room for visitors, bar and restaurant for artists.


On the first and second floors, are offices, a record library and studios. The top floor is the staff accommodatio
n.

The studios of the english programmes were situated in the premises behind the castle at the bottom of the park.
.

       studio vert caudebec


One of the new studios used for french programmes


French broadcast (live ?) with Uncle Roland at the desk control !

       bureau caudebec
 

 In 1938, the "golden" lounge

In 2010 : the same lounge is became the Mayor's office in the Caudebec Town Hall

Only furniture changed




Nowadays the Town Hall of Caudebec-en-Caux


mascaret caudebec

In 1938, curiosity at the foot of the castle,
the famous mascaret on the Seine...

 

     
 

 ... very dangerous !

       


 

 Back of the Castle and the park along the River Seine

In the background, this is the Museum of the Navy. In 1938 and 1939, in an additional building, the studios intended for the broadcasts in English language were held. Only the French broadcasts were carried out since the castle. The Radio Normandy transmitter in Louvetot (situated at 6 km in the north of Caudebec) radiated all the day and the night these broadcasts in two languages.



Below, recent aerial photo of Caudebec-en-Caux and the "Castle" of Radio Normandy beside the River Seine.
.

.
This beautiful property now Caudebec Town Hall
 

The main entrance
 
(c) photo A. Neury (1955)

Hard to imagine that here even,
these walls saw passing so much personalities,
artists, singers, famous musicians of pre-war period...